Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pumpkin Ale

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

My family and I love pumpkin. We love pumpkin pie, pumpkin coffee, and even pumpkin beer. Bier Brewery has released their Pumpkin Ale. The pumpkin ale is 5.3% abv and 14.1 IBUs. They are limiting customers to one growler per person, per visit. Get in and try it while you can.

The beer pours out a golden color with head that goes away fast. It smells like pumpkin with a nice breadiness (almost like an unbaked pumpkin pie). It has a nice light mouth feel with just a bit of sticky sweetness.

The beer itself tasted like an Oktoberfest that had been poured through a pumpkin. The pumpkin was the dominant flavor, taking over most of the beer taste. There was basically no hops. I understand that its beer, it has hops, but no real bitterness. Although that may sound right up my alley, it allowed the pumpkin flavor and the sweetness to run wild. Normally with a pumpkin you get a bit more spiciness and that comes predominately from the hops. 

I wish there would have been a little bit more complexity. It tasted a bit like a mouthful of pie filling.


I didn't hate it, but it is not my favorite pumpkin beer. 

As you can see there are three beers poured in the picture above, and my wife loved it. 

I give it a 2.




Professor Beer:

I really enjoyed Bier's Pumpkin Ale.  It was more of a pumpkin pie beer than a pumpkin beer.  It had a strong cinnamon/spice flavor, but it was well balanced with the pumpkin and not overpowering.  Also, it didn't make the mistake of being too sweet, like many pumpkin beers do.  I found it to be an excellent pumpkin beer, and I will definitely be having a few more this month.







No comments:

Post a Comment