Thursday, January 31, 2013

Barrel Aged Frosted Frog Christmas Ale

Creation: Barrel Aged Frosted Frog Christmas Ale
Style: Winter Warmer
Masterminds: Hoppin' Frog
Location: Akron, OH
ABV: 8.6 %
IBU: 12
Hops:
Availability: Seasonal Winter
Drinkability:  All night long, not too sweet not too heavy with enough of an ABV to keep you warm throughout the Holidays!
Awards: Won the Annual Blind Christmas beer tasting at Vintage Estate Wine and Beer 2012 in Boardman.  Topped his event in 2010 and 2011.

"Not the Gumdrop Buttons!"

Served Cold out of the bottle

Pours with a dark black to brown with a red glow on the edges.  Reminds me of a color hybrid between a porter and an amber.  Minimal head and carbonation

The Cinnamon nutmeg and ginger spice sing Christmas Carols to you senses!

Starts off with a Dark Spicy Christmas malt with silky sweet chocolate notes.  It's as if I was eating NestlĂ© chocolate all my life then all of a sudden found out what Godiva chocolate that literally melts in your mouth tastes like.

Leaves the mouth  Coated with a Finish of  a light cinnamon sweetness that sticks around for a minute.

Serve Warm(er): to really let the Christmas spices come to the front and stop hiding behind the malt.

O-Dawg: 4.0 heads






Post-mortum:
The old crew got together in that brief window between Turkey Day and X-Mas to catch up and wish each other a Merry Christmas.  What better Place to meet up than Shallo's!!!  If you find yourself in Greenwood, IN please go here!  Try anything that has the Swamp sauce on it and pair it with one of there HUGE selection of micro-drafts and micro-bottles.

Being in the Christmas spirit I decided to try out the Frosted Frog.  Now I have tried D.O.R.I.S and B.O.R.I.S from Hoppin' Frog with fantastic results so I figured this to be a no brainer beer purchase.

I liked it, The Big Guy liked it, hell our wives liked it (and that doesn't happen...  Ever...). It was a Merry Christmas to my pallet courtesy of Hoppin' Frog.  I would recommend snagging one for the cold winter nights ahead!  Delicious!

Merry Christmas to all out friends once again!  We would t know what to do without you all!

The Big Guy: I did in fact like it. This was an excellent winter warmer. It delivered everything I was looking for plus a nice hop profile you don't always find with this sort of beer. The sweet malt and booziness was like getting rocked to sleep on a Christmas Eve. I give it a 4.5



No comments:

Post a Comment