Monday, August 19, 2013

Pilgrimage: Revolution Brewing Company

The Big Guy and I had the opportunity to spend some time in downtown Chicago last weekend, one of my all time favorite places. One of the things that I love about the city is that there are so many great places to eat and drink. You can basically pick a street at random to walk down and you're bound to find something good. Sometimes though, you know exactly where you want to go.

That's how we were with Revolution Brewing Company. I had tried a few of their brews before this, specifically Anti Hero and Rosa and was definitely interested in trying more. They had a great selection on tap, and I went with their El Hefe Loco, a hefeweizen, and was really glad that I did. Delicious brew, great banana and clove flavor with a very smooth finish. I also tried Cat Herder (a golden ale) and E. Norma Gene (a bourbon barrel aged imperial porter) while we were there. I love porters and I'm no slouch when it comes to bourbon so the combination is pretty much always a winner for me. The Big Guy had a few others as well.

We had a fantastic bartender who made some great recommendations and helped us work our way through their beer list. That always makes a big difference in my experience. I know just enough to be dangerous or extremely boring in a bar. I know what I like and I tend to stick to it, or I try something completely outside my wheelhouse which doesn't always go the way I think it should. Having a bar tender who's willing to take the time and make recommendations based on a combination of my preferences and theirs is awesome.

As you're sitting at the bar you can see the brewing equipment through the windows in the back. There's a mix of old school classic style and a strong contemporary industrial feel in the décor. Totally up my alley. The bar is front and center as you walk in with oversized versions of the Revolution fist holding things up. All the taps are fists as well with different colors corresponding to different beers. 

We didn't get there in time to try their food menu, late night partying like we do, so we'll have to go back again. I'm sure I'll really have to twist the Big Guy's arm to make that happen. We heard some really good things about their brunch so maybe we can convince my parents to meet us there.

All in, the people and the atmosphere were great and the beer was outstanding. It's one that I'll be keeping on my list so we can go next time we're in the city!

The Big Guy: When you have good beer and a great space, the only thing that can elevate a bar or brewery to the next level is the staff. Our bartender was outstanding. He explained what they had on tap, and for the most part I just let him decide what I was drinking all night. They had a couple ferkin beers on cask, and they were running them through a beer engine. I love it when a brewery gives you some options. I had Anti Hero off a standard keg and off cask. Tomorrow, I will let you know what I thought. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment