Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Anti-Hero

I was introduced to Revolution Brewery on a trip up to see my in-laws earlier this year. I was stoked to try their stuff because, like Sun King, they can their standard releases. I picked up a couple six packs and a few bombers of their stuff, but Anti-Hero really stood out for me. I've been trading for a bunch of beer lately, and over the summer I kind of went IPA crazy. I fell in love with Jai Alai by Cigar City and Grapefruit Jungle by Sun King, but haven't found much to compare.

Revolution describes it as an "American hop assault," and I would let this beer storm the beaches of my taste buds any day of the week. Anti-Hero totally stacks up to some of the best IPAs I've had. It has quickly become one of my favorites. It's 6.5% ABV and 70 IBUs, and pours out a very light orange with a nice white head. It smells like a citrus hop bomb blowing up in your face with big bright citrus and floral notes and just a hint of sweet malts.

The flavor is outstandingly bright and refreshing. Up front you get some huge, chewy, citrus hops with hints of grapefruits, pineapple and a little orange. There's a great caramel and biscuit malt flavor that follows up the hops. It helps mellow out the huge hop flavor on the front end and adds a great compliment of sweetness. The beer finishes off appropriately bitter. So many IPAs end up being nothing but hops or just a big bitter finish. Anti Hero is the real deal. Its well balanced and all the flavors marry well together.

On top of them making an awesome brew, when the Little Lady and I went to the brewery we were able to get this bad boy on cask. The UBC (Union Brewing Company right here in Indy) has turned me into a huge fan of cask beers. I try getting them everywhere we go. Anti-Hero on cask was equally outstanding. The cask mellowed the hops out just a little bit, but it added that amazing smooth character that only comes from natural fermentation. It went down silky smooth and really helped to elevate the recipe. I would recommend anyone who stops by the brewery to try whatever they can on the cask.


I give both beers a solid 4. Well played Revolution.


No comments:

Post a Comment