Thursday, March 28, 2013

Irish Style Extra Stout


Holy shit!!! this tastes like St. Patty's Day! I don't think the picture is good enough, but around the label it says "A narrow neck keeps the bottle from being emptied in one swig - Irish Proverb" Damn they were right! I probably would have tried to finish it all in one swig if I had had more than a six pack. This is a full bodied Irish stout and it tastes outstanding. The score on Beer Advocate does not do it justice.

This is Shlafly's Foreign Extra Stout and has 8% abv. It pours a nice dark brown with ample tan head. It has a pretty thick mouth feel that is almost chewy. It smells like sweet roasted goodness.
The flavor is big and in your face. It has a nice blend of dark fruits, licorice sweetness and a little bit of bitter coffee. There is a little bit of roasted malt goodness, that give it just a bit of sharpness. There is a great boozy backbone to this beer as well, and it just mellows out beautifully as it warms up a bit. You can really taste the 8% in a great way. Often this sort of thing will detract from a beer, but for this one the booziness just seems to fit. There is a solid hop profile to back everything up. This helps keep it nice a dry as well as give it a crisp clean finish.

I have had a lot of stouts this St. Patty's Day and this was probably my favorite. I even went out to grab another six pack in hops of making the season last a little bit longer.

I give it a 4.5 it was totally my favorite St. Patty's Day find.







O-Dawg:
Sweet malt nose.  Boozy heat.  Medium body, slight bitter finish.
4






El Duque:
I just.  I just didn't like it, and this will probably leave me with the least eloquent review so far.  It just felt too sweet, not enough malt, and then add in the booze and it just felt disjointed to me.  I think this is a case of my palate not being really attuned to this one.

I give it a 3

No comments:

Post a Comment