Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Event Review: Sour Wild Funk Fest

Andrew, Steve, Luke and I had the chance to attend this year's Sour Wild Funk Fest, put on by Upland Brewing Company.


The event was held at City Market, upstairs in Tomlinson Tap Room. I have to admit I was a little nervous about how the space would hold up to the event, but the crowd moved through the space better than I expected. There were only one of two places where things were uncomfortably crowded.


This was my favorite event last year of all the festivals we attended, so I had some pretty high hopes for what I'd get to try. There was a great selection of breweries, and all brought some unique offerings. A few of the breweries were tapped out before the end of the event, which I'm taking as a sign that I wasn't the only one enjoying what they had to offer.

Of all the beers I tried that afternoon, here were my favorites:
  • Kiwi Saison, Flat 12 Bierwerks
  • Saint Dekkera Reserve Sour Blueberry, Destihl Brewery
  • La Folie (Lips of Faith), New Belgium Brewing Company
The team at Upland put together some exclusive components to the event for the members of the Secret Barrel Society and the event VIPs. Great additions- a VIP lounge with bathrooms, lunch before the event and dinner after, a presentation by Caleb, samples of the upcoming Upland and Oliver Winery collaborations, and an after party in the catacombs. I didn't even know we had catacombs. The only critique I have is that it made for a very long day to have things at the front and back of the event. Next year I'd prefer one or the other.




The Big Guy: I love this event. Brie laid it out pretty well for you guys, so I will just go ahead and list my favorite beers of the afternoon:
  • Pink Ribbon Sour Saison by Triton Brewery
  • Vinosynth White sour and wine blend by Upland
  • Counter Clockweisse Berlinerweisse by Destihl Brewery

No comments:

Post a Comment