Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pilsner Urquell Tankovna

I know what some of you are thinking, you've had Pilsner Urquell before and while it wasn't bad it wasn't your favorite. That was definitely my take, but I was always interested in trying it closer to the source. I had the opportunity to do just that while the Big Guy and I were in London. I was definitely not disappointed.

We took an afternoon and went out to the White Horse pub in Parson's Green. (If you're ever in London, it's a straight shot from the Underground station to the Pub.) The Big Guy had heard from some of his Instagram connections that it has one of the best craft beer selections in London. Between the castles and the museums we knew we'd find some time to make a visit.

True to what we expected, there was a good selection. I tried a few ciders which had quickly become my go-to for the vacation, and was looking for a recommendation for something else to try. This pub is the only location I've ever been to that has Pilsner Urquell on tanks, Pilsner Urquell Tankovna. The tanks are a completely different sort of flavor, one that far surpasses any other variety of Pilsner Urquell that I've ever had.

The tanks are delivered to the White Horse direct from the brewery in Pilsen and dispensed from specially installed, authentic Czech tanks. The beer is unpasteurized which also lends a unique quality to the experience, and the tanks make it more authentic to the way the beer would be enjoyed in the Czech Republic.

There was a strong fresh baked bread flavor, with a full and smooth mouth feel. There was a minimal amount of bitterness and a finish that was more like a sour than what I've come to expect from a bottled pilsner in the US. The color was rich and golden and there was a small amount of head that left a nice lacing across the glass.

It was totally different, and absolutely worth the try. I would recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity to try a pilsner this way. I gave the regular Pilsner Urquell a 3 (which was a bit generous), but I gave the Tankovna a 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment