Monday, April 14, 2014

Endless IPA

Endless IPA is the newest release from Goose Island's Limited Release Series. Endless IPA is a light bodied session IPA coming in at 5% ABV and a relaxed 35 IBUs. Now you hop heads out there are going to argue that this barely counts as an IPA, and I'll give you that, but session beers are big right now. This one fits in with a more laid back hop profile than Stone's Go to IPA and Founder's All Day IPA (both session IPAs). The best part of this IPA is the hop choice that was made. Endless IPA is all Amarillo hops, and I love Amarillo hops. I fell in love with them when I first tried Amarillo Ninja by Pipeworks.

The hops were sourced form Elk Mountain Farms in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Goose Island is doing a lot to try and stress the farm to bottle relationship that the brewers have with the hop growers. Elk Mountain has only been growing hops for two years now, but for what it is, the flavor is there. I have a lot of hope that once they've been in operation a few more years they're going to have some wonderful hops. Bonners Ferry is located on the same latitude line as some of the best hop farms in the world. This means climate and temperatures are going to be on point, all they need is continued experience growing.

This beer pours out a goldenrod yellow with a nice thick fluffy white head. There's a spicy citrus aroma with a little bit of a bread crust on the finish. The flavor follows suit nicely. The citrus and grassy notes of Amarillo dominate everything. The bitterness is light and crisp, and really doesn't linger at all. The malts are a nice light sweetness that compliment the hops and bring out the fruit flavors. Like all the GI beers, this one is super clean in appearance and in flavor. Its executed flawlessly, and that's something I'm starting to expect from all their beers.

Keep in mind that this is a session beer. Its light. The mouthfeel is light. The malt character is light and the hops are pretty light. The beer has great flavor for such a laid back beer. It will be released here in Indiana in six packs and twelve packs, and I think I could smash a twelve pack by myself on a hot summer day. Its crisp and refreshing and probably easier to drink than it should be.

I love their hop choice, so I give it a 3.5






Brianna:  By now you all know that I'm not much of a hop-head and I usually don't go for IPAs as my first choice. I don't think this will be the IPA that changes things for me as far as that's concerned. Having said that, I really liked this one. Just about everything is light- the mouthfeel, the malt characteristics. The hops definitely come through, but they don't overwhelm the rest of the flavors. It's an easy drinking beer. I could definitely see myself sitting on the back porch enjoying this beer all summer long.

No comments:

Post a Comment